From now on I am telling you before it comes to pass….v19
In this and the next chapter I find a number of things Jesus has told them before hand. Each of these are told as a sign so that when it does occur, you may believe that I am He. v. 19
Here is the list:
v20 Truly truly, I say to you, he who receives whomever I send receives Me; and he who receives Me receives him who sent Me.
v21 …one of you will betray Me
v 31 -32 (after Judas has left) Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in Him; if God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and will glorify Him immediately.
v33 …where I am going you cannot come. …v36 you shall follow later.
To Peter v.38 a rooster shall not crow, until you deny me three times.
14:2 in my Father’ house are many dwelling places; if it were not so,I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way where it am going.
v6 I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. If you had known Me, you would have known my Father also; from now on you Know Him, and have seen Him.
v12 Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go to the Father.
v13 and whatever you ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything in my name, I will do it.
v16-17 …the Father, He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth, that the world cannot receive, because it does not behold Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.
v18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
v19 after a little while the world will behold Me no more;but you will behold Me; because I live, you shall live also.
v20 In that day you shall know that I am in the Father, and you in Me, and I in you.
v21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me, and he who loves me shall be loved by My Father, and I will love him, and will disclose myself to him.
v23 If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him.
v25 The Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remember nice all that I have said to you.
It boils down to these things:
- To receive Jesus is to receive the Father.
- Jesus is to be betrayed (and it was fulfilled with the betrayal of Judas)
- God is (was) glorified in Jesus (done)
- Jesus was only with them a little while longer– He went to His death and they could not go there.(done)
- Peter would (did) deny Jesus three times before dawn.
- Jesus has gone ahead and prepared a place in heaven and will come again.
- Through Jesus only, we come to the Father- knowing Jesus is knowing the Father
- Believers in Jesus shall do the works that Jesus did (and have) and greater works.
- Anything asked of Jesus, in Jesus name will be done for the purpose of glorifying the Father in the Son. (Did, does)
- Another Helper is coming (and has come)
- You won’t be left as orphans (were not, Spirit came)
- Soon won’t be seen but by believers He shall be (was seen)
- Will know and love Jesus obediently (they did) and Jesus will disclose Himself to them
- Love Jesus and keep His word the Father, In Jesus will abide with them (did and does)
- Holy Spirit will remind them of all Jesus has said (did)